The Recycled Cyclist

Weekly Essays on Cycling in Mid-Life and Its Many Dimensions

Name:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Synthetics

Synthetic fabrics are once again mainstream, and I have found myself among their biggest fans. When I was young, polyester and lycra were equated with cheesy clothes worn by throwbacks or the vain. Now, with innovative weaves, different weights, new mixes, and more creative implementations, synthetics are everywhere, and they are my favorite fabrics.

Cyclists are constantly clad in synthetics when they ride. When I renewed my cycling lifestyle, one area I entered with trepidation was dressing like a cyclist. Having added the pounds of a sedentary lifestyle, I was nervous for more than one reason. Not only did I worry about how I'd look, but I worried about being perceived clad in spandex as bizarre.

So, I dipped my toes into the synthetics pond very gingerly. The first items I bought were jerseys, and one pair of simple bike shorts. Occasionally, I would ride in this new garb, but usually would just ride in cotton shorts and t-shirts. The difference between the two modes was immediately apparent. Despite how these new clothes might be perceived, or even how I might look, they worked very well! Even though I snickered at the concept of "wicking," I enjoyed the benefits, and covertly noted that wicking was a true phenomenon cotton clothing didn't attain.

My pace of acquiring synthetic cycling gear accelerated, and continued through the seasons of the year, from sleeveless jerseys for the hottest summer days to cycling shoe covers to headgear and glove liners and vests and bins full of odds and ends. The jersey collection has become seriously overwhelming at this point, with each season adding jerseys from birthdays and charity rides to the already substantial base array. Because these synthetic jerseys are so durable and stink/stain resistant, even the oldest are still holding up well, so there is very little built-in obsolescence. And the collection grows.

Now, integration of synthetics into other areas of my life has accelerated, from t-shirts to shorts to socks to even some suits. It seems that most fabrics I find appealing and that work well for me have some percentage of a synthetic material in them, often for resiliency and breathability.

At the same time, companies like Life is Good have introduced cotton weaves in their t-shirts that seem to absolutely trap body heat and moisture, driving me further away from tossing on a simple t-shirt in the summer. Contrasting cotton t-shirts with synthetics makes the benefits of synthetics all the more stark -- they don't stain very easily, they don't stretch out of shape after being worn a few times, and they feel as good late in the day as they did at the beginning.

So, sorry cotton industry, I think our relationship may be ending, at least for shirts. It's definitely quitsville on the cycling clothing. You just don't have what it takes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home